Friday, May 29, 2015

Whirlwind

Last sunday I was reviewing my options:  Keep hiking into the snow and see how bad it is for myself, or make plans to head up to Wyoming's Great Basin to hike some miles while this snow business sorts itself out a bit.  Reports of the San Juans included things like "150% snow pack" and "extreme avalanche danger"... I was very much leaning toward the Wyoming option but then the new decision was: how do I make it up to Wyoming and back?  Public transportation is just awful in this country for anyone not heading from giant city to giant city.  I called a good friend from the PCT in 2013, Happy Feet/Chad, who lives just south of Denver to see if he had any ideas.  Within 10 minutes he offered to drive 5 hours to come pick me up on his day off.  WOW!  By 2 AM i was in Castle Rock CO.  The next day I made it to REI to get new tips for my poles, they were down to the nubs!  It's always great catching up with awesome hiking friends, we hadn't seen each other in almost 2 years and we didn't skip a beat.  THANK YOU CHAD!!!!!

Dropping me off in Cheyenne, WY I had my first hitch in 5 minutes!  Peter took me over 100 miles toward my goal of Encampment, WY and we talked the whole time, it was a beautiful drive.   My second hitch was from 2 gentlemen from my home state of PA out on vacation and before I knew it I was in the tiny little town on Encampment.  After a delicious lunch @ the Bear Trap and confirming with the Post Office that my maps didnt arrive yet (a girl can hope!) it was time to decide what to do with and extra day waiting for maps to arrive...

The next town north is Saratoga and the best part about this little town is the public hot springs!  And they're free!!  So, out goes my thumb one last time that day in pursuit of ultimate relaxation.  Within 20 minutes a local fly fishing guide picks me up and by nightfall I'm checked into the Sage & Sand Motel and was partaking of a local play "Cheaper by the Dozen" before heading to the hot springs 3 blocks away.  Dusty at the Motel was probably the coolest motel manager I've ever met and EVERYONE should stay there!

What does a hiker do when waiting for maps?  Hot springs and Fly Fishing of course!!!!  Remember that fishing guide that picked me up? Steven Heinitz of North Platte Trouters (www.nptrouters.com) is an absolute ANGEL and took me on a float trip down the North Platte River in search of some stunning scenery, awesome wildlife, and trout of course!  I hadn't held a fly rod in my hand for 8 years, and had also never fished from a boat, but before I knew it I was totally lost in the experience around me and had an absolutely incredible time!!!!  Thank you SO MUCH Steven!!!!! (and Buoy).

I loved the irony that I was fishing on the water that is the snowmelt from the mountains that I was avoiding...  Just taking advantage of the situation ;-)

With all of that adventure it was time to hike.  I'm in Rawlins today and plan to continue on to South Pass City, then Pinedale, before heading back south to Ghost Ranch where I left the trail.

Happy Trails!
~beads

feeling good after a big snowy climb up Los Pinos to Los Pedros Peaks @ 10,600 feet

Indian Paintbrush in Chama River Valley


1 comment:

  1. Be safe! What an epic adventure!!!!

    ReplyDelete