Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Bannock Pass - Leadore, ID

Traveling through the Bitterroot Mountains along the Idaho-Montana border has been absolutely incredible.  High mountain meadows, open tree groves, and wildflowers still holding on.   This section of the CDT as we head down to Wyoming has a reputation for what hikers call PUDDING. That is: Pointless Ups and Downs.  Well built trail is something that takes countless volunteer hours to construct and the better a trail is built the less a hiker notices.  In this area the CDT often follows old 4wd roads and for some reason this seems to imply that we go straight up and straight down every little pointy bit along the Great Divide.  Definitely not easy on the feet/knees/legs of any hiker! I also find myself pausing to ponder the thought of HOW exactly someone might actually drive up and down these paths...  they are so steep I can't imagine any outcome other than flipping right over!! 

Other than the extreme fire danger that surrounds us, the weather has be quite agreeable.  I have not been directly effected by any wildfires despite frequent lightning strikes in the area.  After the insane heat wave from 2 weeks ago, the temperatures have settled down.  Recently, however, we have been dealing with daily thunderstorms and rain.  Nothing too disheartening but it sure does keep you on your toes.  Luckily there has been at least a small window every day to dry out my tent, other than that I basically just keep hiking in the rain.  It has its own beauty I think, its own challenges as well. 

Thanks for reading!!!

Happy Trails,
~beads 






3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura (Beads),
    Each time I have read one of your blogs I say "Wow, she's making the trip of a lifetime.", yet you have been on three! As one of your former high school teachers I live vicariously through you on these hikes as my idea of camping out is a Days Inn, and don't have the sense of adventure to travel like this! My wife and daughter are kindred spirits having hiked a small portion of the AT, and will be camping out while moving her off to college across the country in WA. My son and I are flying... Continued good luck and great experiences on this trip!
    Dr. B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. B?!?!?! WOW I was just thinking about you the other day!!!! I was watching some bees and was wondering what they were up to.... figured you might know ;-) Where in WA??? let me know when you're around. Talags@gmail.com or 509.844.6143. Peace n Love!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Dr. B?!?!?! WOW I was just thinking about you the other day!!!! I was watching some bees and was wondering what they were up to.... figured you might know ;-) Where in WA??? let me know when you're around. Talags@gmail.com or 509.844.6143. Peace n Love!!!!!!

      Delete